Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: Judging Music: Objectivity vs. Subjectivity

  1. #1
    Forum Leader Droogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    435

    Default Judging Music: Objectivity vs. Subjectivity

    A popular response to the scenario"Band Y is far more talented than Band Z" is often, "that's only your OPINION"

    So the question than becomes this: Can Band Y be objectively better than Band Z?" Or is it really only a matter of subjective judgment? In other words, can a certain band or artist be objectively better than anther band or artist?

    When I say that Alice in Chains is a far more talented band than Nickleback, is this objectively true, or is it just a matter of my opinion? How about saying that Jimi Hendrix was a far greater musician/artist than Justin Bieber is?

    What's your take on this? Is Radiohead REALLY about a trillion times better than Limp Bizkit? Or is that only my opinion?

    DEBATE!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    I think when it comes down to specific individual talents, it can be opinion and truth at the same time. Like, Hendrix playing guitar. I'm not sure if Justin Bieber even plays guitar or not, but I'm sure even Bieber would nod his head in Hendrix's direction if the question ever arose.

    So, sometimes yes and sometimes no.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator In Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    15,692
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Droogie View Post
    So the question than becomes this: Can Band Y be objectively better than Band Z?" Or is it really only a matter of subjective judgment? In other words, can a certain band or artist be objectively better than anther band or artist?
    First off, yes, bands can be better than other bands

    Quote Originally Posted by Droogie View Post
    When I say that Alice in Chains is a far more talented band than Nickleback, is this objectively true, or is it just a matter of my opinion? How about saying that Jimi Hendrix was a far greater musician/artist than Justin Bieber is?
    Second off, did you just ask if Jimi Hendrix is better than Justin Bieber? Um...2 completely different kinds of music my friend

    Quote Originally Posted by Droogie View Post

    What's your take on this? Is Radiohead REALLY about a trillion times better than Limp Bizkit? Or is that only my opinion?
    Thirdly, it is an opinion, thats what a music forum is for.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    I don't think Droogz was actually comparing Hendrix to Justin Bieber. It was just an example

  5. #5
    Super Moderator In Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    15,692
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    ^ In that case, I agree with Wordz on the fact that it depends on individual talents. Im gonna use the Jimi and Bieber example. If both Jimi Hendrix and Justin Bieber got on stage and started singing and jamming on guitar; one would probably be steadily better than the other because one would easily be more talented than the other.

    In another case, if you stuck two artists next to eachother that in some bizarre instance had the same amount of talent, maybe it'd be a little harder to create an opinion and state which one is better than the other.

    Im sure hoping that makes sense. Because i just wrote what i thought.

  6. #6
    Forum Leader Droogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by In Winter View Post
    Second off, did you just ask if Jimi Hendrix is better than Justin Bieber? Um...2 completely different kinds of music my friend
    no. i asked if Hendrix was a better MUSICIAN than Beiber.

    Quote Originally Posted by WordzMyth View Post
    I don't think Droogz was actually comparing Hendrix to Justin Bieber. It was just an example
    right!

    My take on it is that it IS possible for a band to be objectively better than another band. I'll give you my reasoning tomorrow, when I'm fully awake.
    Last edited by Droogie; 07-05-2010 at 11:02 PM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Yes musicians obviously can have more talent than other musicians, but pure technicality is only part of music, emotion is the other half. So when comparing artists you must not only compare their actual skills but how they display them as well, because he can sweep pick does that make guitarist A better then guitarist B who can't sweep pick but can move an audience to tears with the emotion generated from his vibrato. In depth-ness ftw.


    I am mortuus, thanatos, the reaper's scythe that's oh so close, the anti-life, and the path you chose. I am death.

  8. #8

    Default

    Well, I don't know what better means in this situation... Define it...
    Stop being so damn introspective...

  9. #9
    Forum Leader Droogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTime View Post
    Well, I don't know what better means in this situation... Define it...
    musically superior.. the question is can band A factually be better than band B.

    Quote Originally Posted by Manson7703 View Post
    Yes musicians obviously can have more talent than other musicians, but pure technicality is only part of music, emotion is the other half. So when comparing artists you must not only compare their actual skills but how they display them as well, because he can sweep pick does that make guitarist A better then guitarist B who can't sweep pick but can move an audience to tears with the emotion generated from his vibrato. In depth-ness ftw.
    i don't think i've ever cried over vibrato LOL.. but i get your point.

  10. #10

    Default

    ^

    What do you mean by musically superior???

  11. #11

    Default

    I suppose you can rate something in terms of compositional complexity, but that has nothing to do with musicianship.

  12. #12
    Forum Leader Droogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTime View Post
    ^

    What do you mean by musically superior???
    can band A be factually/objectively a better band than band B.

    you're over thinking it

  13. #13

    Default

    ^

    Well that's the thing. Better can mean a lot of things. Better at playing faster, better at exploring genres, better at making longer albums, better at being performers, etc...
    Last edited by FreeTime; 07-06-2010 at 04:33 PM.

  14. #14

    Default

    No band is factually better than any other, but I will say this though;

    The music Justin Bieber produces is 'fake', and his 'music' is ALL about commercialism. That, vs another musician where his/her music is written by them, played by them and isn't all about being commercial, then you can analyze and judge the music easier.

    The music of Britney Spears, The Spice Girls, N*SYNC etc isn't actually 'good' music because it was never intended to be anything but a cash cow for young people. They would listen to it less about the music and more because it was 'cool', and you can never create deeply enjoyable music this way, when it is so shallow and meaningless.
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid" - Frank Zappa

  15. #15

    Default

    Nice discussion thread Droogie. I think it's difficult for anyone to be objective about anything. I'm never comparing band A to band B when I'm listening to something new. I probably would never use the word judging either. I evaluate the music I hear in a very personal way. If it draws me in, moves me...then I can appreciate it...regardless of genre. I think it takes strong talented artists/musicians to do that. You know...cause I have great taste/good ears.

    Loudest of Love

    I'm tied within
    I'm luck's last match struck
    In the pouring down wind

    ~Chris Cornell~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •